Re: Script to help users to report a BUG

From: randy_dunlap
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 19:49:22 EST

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:52:49 +0200 Micha__ Piotrowski wrote:

| Hi,
|
| randy_dunlap napisa__(a):
|
| >On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:32:16 +0200 Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
| >
| >| Hi all,
| >| what do you think about this simple idea of a script that could help
| >| users to fill better BUG reports ?
| >|
| >| The usage is quite simple, put the attached file in
| >| /usr/src/linux/scripts and then:
| >|
| >| [root@frodo scripts]# ./report-bug.sh /tmp/BUGREPORT/
| >| cat: /proc/scsi/scsi: No such file or directory
| >|
| >| [root@frodo scripts]# ls /tmp/BUGREPORT/
| >| cpuinfo.bug ioports.bug modules.bug software.bug
| >| iomem.bug lspci.bug scsi.bug version.bug
| >|
| >| Now you can simply attach all the .bug files to the bugzilla report or
| >| inline them in a email.
| >|
| >| The script is rude but it is enough to give you an idea of what I have in mind.
| >|
| >| Any comment ?
| >
| >It can be useful. We certainly see bug reports with a good bit
| >of missing information.
| >
| >I would rather see the script write all /proc etc. contents to just
| >one file (with some headings prior to each file). One file would be
| >easier to email inline or to attach...
| >
| >---
| >

| We talk about it (me and Paolo) in private correspondence.
|
| Here is my version:
| http://stud.wsi.edu.pl/~piotrowskim/files/ort/ort-a5.tar.bz2
|
| Here is my topic on kerneltrap:
| http://kerneltrap.org/node/5325
|
| If you have any suggestions, coments, please send me email or post on
| kerneltrap.

OK, I looked and I have a few suggestions or comments.

1. ort.sh needs to be run as root so that lspci -vvv and lsusb -v
work as expected. Maybe include that requirement in 'help'?
Aha, that's what root@ng02 is supposed to mean, right?
I think it should be more explicit than that.

2. Item 2 (full description) should allow for more than one line
of input.

3. Item 3 (keywords) probably should allow for more than one line
of input.

4. Item 4 (kernel version) and all of 7 (Environment) assume that
the oops happened on the system where the oops report is being
produced. That's probably correct lots of the time, but not always.
But I don't know what to do about it.

5. Item 7 (small sample program to duplicate problem): at least put
an empty reminder at this spot, this is a Very Important Program.

6. Use $EDITOR instead of vim if it is defined (set).

7. Consider ending with on-screen message to email 'ort_oops.txt'
to linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or some other appropriate Linux
mailing list.

I did use ort.sh and it produced a pretty good output file.

Thanks,
---
~Randy