Re: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: Dave Jones
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 18:07:54 EST

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 06:47:03PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > > install tarball: unpack && make && sudo make prefix=/usr/local install
> >
> >the sudo thing isn't necessary. make install by itself installs it
> >in ~/bin/ just fine.
>
> Clearly this does not work if installing in /usr/local, as I and others
> do (and as the example shows).

Sure, it just seemed to imply that it doesn't work with a non-root install,
which isn't true.

> > > After reading the rest of this document, come back and update your copy
> > > of git to the latest:
> > > rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/git.git
> >
> >See above, which allows you to skip this step ;)
>
> huh? Nothing allows you to skip that step. Regardless of when you suck
> the tarball, even from your snapshots, the users should not skip this step.

At worse, users will have tools 59 minutes old. If a situation arises
where git from an hour ago isn't new enough to pull from the repository,
we have bigger problems.

You seem to be proposing that everyone needs the shiniest newest things,
which clearly isn't true, and suggesting so just complicates things
further imo.

Dave