Re: Problem compiling 2.6.12

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 14:30:37 EST

On 6/22/05, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 05:59:45PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> >
> > Don't use a 2.4.x config as the basis for a 2.6.x kernel .
> > Build your first 2.6.x kernel config using "make menuconfig", "make
> > config", make xconfig" or similar, /then/ you can use that config in
> > the future as a base for other 2.6.x kernels with "make oldconfig".
>
> First of all, this shouldn't result in problems like the one he
> reported (see my other mail).
>
> And I'm surprised you are saying this. I'd have expected that running
> "make oldconfig" with a 2.4 kernel should give him a working
> configuration.
>
> Can you explain where you'd expect problems so that we can fix them?

It's been ages since I personally moved to 2.6, but around the time
when I made the switch I fed several 2.4 configs to oldconfig and the
resulting 2.6 kernels either didn't build properly or they build but
were broken in strange ways. Redoing the 2.6 configs from scratch
always fixed the problems back then. I also encountered similar
reports from people on IRC. Things may have improved since then, but
then again maybe they have not.. I'll see if I can dig out a few of my
old 2.4 configs and retest if there are still issues.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>