Re: kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 12:35:08 EST

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 04:32:32PM +0200, Valerio Vanni wrote:

> I mean: is it simply a situation of excessive memory requests that is
> fixed by killing one or more processes (and the kernel is still alive
> as before) or the kernel is in some way locked up (in particular: is
> it necessary/better to reboot? Is there some risk of filesystem
> corruption?).

It's memory allocation failures. This might not work until memory is
free but it shouldn't kill the kernel of be a huge problem if it's
just the result of one ore more processes being memory hungry
(ie. when those processes go away things should be fine).

It could also occur if there is a memory leak, in which case there is
a bug that needs to be fixed and a reboot would be needed (I would
only suspect that if it did it often and processes were not using much
memory though).