Re: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status (Suspend-to-disk)

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 08:15:01 EST

Hi.

(Marcelo: Copied for issue at the bottom).

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 16:54, Andrew Morton wrote:
> CPU hotplug for x86 and x86_64
>
> Not really useful on current hardware, but these provide
> infrastructure which some power management patches need, and it seems
> sensible to make the reference architecture support hotplug. Will merge.

Yay. I'm not going to use it yet, but know Pavel wants it for the next
one.

> swsusp-on-SMP
>
> Will merge.
>
> kexec and kdump
>
> I guess we should merge these.
>
> I'm still concerned that the various device shutdown problems will
> mean that the success rate for crashing kernels is not high enough for
> kdump to be considered a success. In which case in six months time we'll
> hear rumours about vendors shipping wholly different crashdump
> implementations, which would be quite bad.
>
> But I think this has gone as far as it can go in -mm, so it's a bit of
> a punt.

No potential clashes with suspend code, I assume?

> execute-in-place
>
> Will merge. Have the embedded guys commented on the usefulness of
> this for execute-out-of-ROM?

Switch roles for a mo and put my Cyclades hat on. Probably not useful to
us at the moment, at least in the case of the products I work on.
Marcelo?

Regards,

Nigel