Re: Linux-2.6.12

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 07:12:25 EST

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Dave Jones wrote:

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 07:36:21AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> >> Because it's true.
> >
> >kernel/module.c:1259 disagrees with you.
> >
> >static inline int license_is_gpl_compatible(const char *license)
> >{
> > return (strcmp(license, "GPL") == 0
> >}

> >AFAICS, this is just plain deception. I suggest reading
> >http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108304056922350&w=2
> >especially the part about talking to lawyers.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> At the time the work-around was inserted it was FACT.

According to the RCS file in the tarball you sent, license.c
was written on 2004.11.09.16.54.17;
It most certainly was around back then.

> I don't
> spend my time rewriting license strings to accommodate the
> whims of the latest GPL fanatic, thank you.

So I see. So instead you subvert the checks instead.

btw, text like this..

* # C O N F I D E N T I A L #
* # The information contained in or upon this document is the #
* # property of Analogic Corporation and is considered to be #
* # proprietary and may not be used by any recipient without #
* # the specific written permission of Analogic Corporation. #

This is USER MODE TEST code! I case you can't read, check for main().
In the real world, we write test code to verify that the driver(s)
work. The test code has the company standard header as required by
the company management. That's what real engineers have to do,
satisfy the customers, and the management. We do not, however,
have to satisfy you.

Just fills me with confidence about the GPL'd nature of this driver.

Due to the "C O N F I D E N T I A L" nature of this driver, I've stopped
reading. Pity, datalink.c was quite amusing.

You are really sad.

* Changed a lot of code to accommodate the stupid and sometimes
* downright wrong changes to the Linux kernel that occurred in
* Version 2.6.n.
*
* Yes. It's broken. I had to hard-code a bunch of stuff using
* "#define" where previously the kernel provided a logical
* value.

Dave

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.12 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.