Re: PATCH: Fix crashes with hotplug serverworks

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 04:49:51 EST

On Maw, 2005-06-21 at 07:52, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Well, because of fake-hotplug we really need to mark every ->probe routine
> and what's called from it __devinit. Debian has patch to do that forever
> but Bart refused to take it.

I'm not surprised from our experience either.

Actually marking all the devices __devinit may be overkill. One approach
that does also seem to work is passing "hotplug yes/no" information when
registering the driver. This is then used to run the ide scan at boot
and avoid registering that driver with the PCI core for hotplug.

A move to __devinit is certainly simpler.