Re: Linux-2.6.12

From: Dave Jones
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 20:11:00 EST

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:07:34AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Attempts to run a driver that worked up to 2.6.11.9 shows that
> it aparently is no longer possible to nest calls to `down`.
> In other words, a procedure that has taken a semaphore can't
> then take another semaphore.
>
> down(&first_resource);
> down(&second_resource);
> up(&second_resource);
> up(&first_resource);
>

> The error is 'sleeping function called from invalid context....'
>
> ------------[ cut here ]------------
> kernel BUG at mm/memory.c:1112!
> invalid operand: 0000 [#1]
> PREEMPT SMP
> Modules linked in: HeavyLink parport_pc lp parport autofs4 rfcomm l2cap
> bluetooth nfsd exportfs lockd sunrpc e100 mii ipt_REJECT ipt_state
> ip_conntrack iptable_filter ip_tables floppy sg sr_mod microcode nls_cp437
> msdos fat dm_mod uhci_hcd ehci_hcd video container button battery ac rtc
> ipv6 ext3 jbd ata_piix libata aic7xxx scsi_transport_spi sd_mod scsi_mod
> CPU: 0
> EIP: 0060:[<c01577f0>] Not tainted VLI

Where is the source for this HeavyLink module ? The lack of tainting implies
that it is GPL ? Oh wait, you've been asked this before[1], but
chose to ignore it.

Remind me again, why you expect any help from linux-kernel, when you've
previously gone out of your way to encourage the subversion of the
gpl-checking mechanisms in the kernel[2], and have no aparent intentions
of showing the code at fault.

Dave

[1] http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.0/1690.html
[2] http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0210.2/0609.html