Re: Block device layer freezing block device access ? (follow-up)

From: Dag Wieers
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 21:44:48 EST

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Dag Wieers wrote:

> I've got an (apparently) broken disk. But I see the following behaviour.
> The kernel reads the partition table without problems and then has some
> unrecoverable errors.
>
> After the system has booted, the disk has become inaccessible, but it
> appears that the driver/block device layer has decided to make the disk
> inaccessible, as I can't even access the partition table anymore (which
> was previously accessible during boot).
>
> So I was wondering if there is a mechanism (probably in the block device
> layer, as I see it with 2 different sata chipsets) that decides to declare
> the disk 'dead' ?

Using Knoppix instead of a Fedora rescue image, I was able to do a reverse
dd_rescue and already recovered 25GB from the 160GB disk, it now is having
some (155 now) bad blocks, but I hope it recovers from that (as it already
managed to do that after the first 55 bad blocks).

Still I'm wondering why on boot it is able to read the partition table,
but not when booted. Knoppix has the same issue.

-- dag wieers, dag@xxxxxxxxxx, http://dag.wieers.com/ --