Re: [2.6.12] x86-64 IO-APIC + timer doesn't work

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Sat Jun 18 2005 - 19:58:26 EST

On Sunday 19 Jun 2005 01:21, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
[snip]

> Here's a copy of my dmesg from a boot with apic=verbose. I see warnings
> about a buggy NMI and a broken timer pin, but I think I've always had those
> problems. (BTW, I've switched mailer recently and I haven't figured out how
> to do inline attachments, I apologise for the encoded one.)

Despite the fact that this wasn't documented in the BIOS update, an update for
my board (MS-7030 Neo Platinum by MSI) supposedly fixing "Fan Function"
actually corrects the IO-APIC and NMI bugs. I now get the following in dmesg
instead:

Calibrating delay loop... 3973.12 BogoMIPS (lpj=1986560)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 256
CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: L2 Cache: 512K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ stepping 00
Using local APIC timer interrupts.
Detected 12.561 MHz APIC timer.
testing NMI watchdog ... OK.

So I'm a happy man. Whether this is at all related to the problems I was
having before, I don't really know. If the problem doesn't reoccur, I could
very well have wasted your time.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.