Re: [patch] inotify, improved.

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 11:42:12 EST

Robert Love wrote:
On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 09:37 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

On a newsgroup someone was using inotify, but was asking if there was any way to also determine which process/user had caused the notification.

I have been hesitant, though. I do not want feature creep to be a
deterrent to acceptance into the Linux kernel.

Absolutely.

I also think that there could be arguments about security.
...can we
say that read rights are enough for a unprivileged user to know that
root at pid 820 is writing the file? I don't know.

I'm sure some reasonable rules could be determined. Maybe you'd need to be the owner of the file to get the extra info, with root able to monitor everything.

Maybe there should be a way to load plugins into inotify (something like netfilter) so that people load modules to send themselves whatever information they want...

Let's get it in first though before thinking too hard about extra stuff.

Chris