Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc6-V0.7.48-00

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 13:02:42 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* K.R. Foley <kr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

could you uncomment the IO_APIC_CACHE define in arch/i386/kernel/io_apic.c, and could you uncomment line 1109 in drivers/ide/ide-io.c - does this fix things? (in apic mode)

Couple of things: 1) I could not find IO_APIC_CACHE anywhere. I could find IOAPIC_CACHE but the define was not commented in io_apic.c. Also the BUG_ON at line 1109 in ide-io.c was not commented out either. So I made the mental leap that you actually meant to comment these out instead of uncomment them??? [...]

yeah, sorry :-|

OK so there really was no mental leap. It was more like a trip,stumble,roll,grasp :-) I actually discovered the real meaning of the above after commenting out only one of the above and failed boot. Only then did it dawn on me what you were trying for. Hence the last line of my email not being finished.

[...] That works to get the system booted. Although I am getting many soft lockups now, minutes after the boot. Log attached. [...]

hm, do you get actual lockups, or only the messages about them? I.e. does the system work fine if you [the sounds of careful thinking to get the word right] disable CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP, or does it lock up silently?

There doesn't seem to be any actual lockups, just messages. I will try disabling the above when I get home this evening. Can't get to the system right now.

[...] 2) In my infinite wisdom before :-) I failed to attach my config as I should have done before. Also, commenting out

this looks like a sentence worth finishing? :)
Actually see my comment above about the "trip,stumble,roll,grasp" The line above is the point at which I realized what was going on. :-D

Ingo

--
kr