Re: Machine Freezes while Running Crossover Office

From: David Lang
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 21:33:29 EST

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Con Kolivas wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:20 am, Pekka Enberg wrote:
On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 20:41 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
Now, assuming you can confirm that doing:

echo 5 > /proc/sys/kernel/INTERACTIVE_DELTA

The hang goes away with a magic number of 6 (although it does not seem
as smooth as with turning off interactivity completely). With 5, I still
get the hang but it is noticeable shorter than before. Number 4 gives me
the same old hang.

Ingo, are there other patches you wanted me to try out?

Generally when I was playing with it I found that if something was critically
dependant on the _value_ of a tunable rather than the algorithm design, it
would simply take a different piece of hardware or test case to induce the
problem, and the algorithm would have to be changed instead of tweaking the
parameters. This will require a some thought as to the design and an
algorithm change for the long term rather than tweaking a value :-|

None of this behaviour existed when the interactivity code went in during 2.5
and I could never have anticipated this pipe design change coming and
affecting it in this way.

IIRC back when the interactivity code was introduces someone raised the question about a set of malicious cooperating processes takeing advantage of this feature to hog system resources. This seems to match what is happening accidently with these pipe processes

at the time an answer was given that satisfied everyone (but I don't remember what it was and don't have the time to do the digging for it), I seem to remember something about an option to detect the dependancies between processes and boost/penalize them as a group in addition to the individual bonuses (with this deemed unessasary overhead at the time as there were no example cases to show that this was more then a theoretical case)

possibly someone with a better memory (or more time to research) can find more.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare