Re: RT patch acceptance

From: David Lang
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 21:23:33 EST

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 01:14:40PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
distros already throw >20% performance improvements on the floor to

hmm, where does that >20% number come from?

missed options for optimizing for the specific CPU you have. it's not as bad as it used to be when everything was compiled for 386, but it's still a significant benifit to recompile with no changes in options except for the CPU type.

I haven't measured it recently, but in the 2.4.17/2.6.0 timeframe I was seeing >30% for optimized kernels vs stock ones so I don't think the 20% figure is unreasonable.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare