Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Lee Revell
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 15:00:38 EST

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 12:29 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> I would assume that the distros would ship without PREEMPT enabled
> because it was (and probably still is) considered unstable.

I suspect this is no longer the case, as the -RT development process has
fixed many, many of these bugs.

What would the point of shipping with PREEMPT enabled have been anyway,
when you could still get 20-30ms bumps? You'd still need huge buffers
for audio to work at all. Now that PREEMPT in mainline actually works
reasonably (1-2ms by some accounts, also due to side effects of
PREEMPT_RT development) there might be a reason to enable it.

Lee