Re: RT patch acceptance

From: James Bruce
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 12:22:52 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
Are you sure it is not only disk IO? In theory updatedb shouldn't need much CPU, but it eats a lot of memory and causes stalls in the disk (or at least that was my interpration on the stalls I saw)
If there is really a scheduling latency problem with updatedb
then that definitely needs to be fixed in the stock kernel.

I don't know, Debian's updatedb always seemed to suck up most of the CPU for me. I am using ReiserFS with tail-packing on, which certainly balances on the side of more CPU vs IO. Also I wouldn't be surprised if other distros had some better approach than Debian's, which appears to be a series of "find | sort" commands. As one would expect, find causes most of the system load and sort causes user load spikes.

That said, preempt-RT is certainly not free right now. Sending network messages at 60Hz appears to load this 2GHz system by about 8%, while that workload barely shows up in stock. I figure there's still some optimization work to be done, but obviously it's unlikely to ever be as efficient as non-preempt-RT. The more interesting question is whether it's any slower with the RT patch applied, but preemption turned off. From the implementation approach, I don't think it will show any difference from stock, but it's certainly something we've got to test a fair amount to be sure.

- Jim Bruce