Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 06:16:10 EST

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:48:50AM -0400, James Bruce wrote:
> P.S. Preempt-RT is a sight to behold while updatedb is running. The
> difference between it and ordinary preempt is quite impressive. Nothing
> currently running has so much as a hiccup, even though / is using the
> non-latency-friendly ReiserFS. The only way I even notice updatedb is
> running at all is through my CPU monitor and the fact that disk IO is
> slower.

Are you sure it is not only disk IO? In theory updatedb shouldn't
need much CPU, but it eats a lot of memory and causes stalls
in the disk (or at least that was my interpration on the stalls I saw)
If there is really a scheduling latency problem with updatedb
then that definitely needs to be fixed in the stock kernel.

-Andi