Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Esben Nielsen
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 04:17:50 EST

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Nick Piggin wrote:

> [...]
> Whenever you or anyone else try to complicate the Linux kernel
> with hard-RT stuff, [...]

The more I look at Ingo's RT patch the more I see a cleanup. It is the old
maybe-preemptive way which is a mess. There is so much the kernel
developer have to think off wrt. locking. Too many kind of contexts,
per cpu variables, miriads of locking types. When I started to look at it
I thought: What a mess.
PREEMPT_RT basicly boils it down to: everything are threads, the only way
to protect data is to use a mutex or use RCU. In short: Linux with
PREEMPT_RT is much easier to understand and develop than with !PREEMPT_RT.

Esben