RE: RT patch acceptance

From: Saksena, Manas
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 23:47:46 EST

Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> But wasn't the same said about the existing preemption code? Yet,
> most distros ship with it disabled and some developers still feel
> that there are no added benefits. What's the use if everyone is
> shipping kernels with the feature disabled? From a practical point of
> view, isn't it then obvious that such features catter for a minority?

That's a misrepresentation. It is well-known that Linux is used in
a wide range of embedded devices. The embedded space is very fragmented,
with lots of home-grown Linux platforms. And, I would speculate that
many of them (as well as commercial distros catering to the embedded
market) often enable preemption (including using non-mainlined kernel
preemption patches for 2.4 kernels).

Regards,
Manas