Re: Adaptec AIC-79xx HostRaid

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 19:10:14 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
I would be very suspicious about the claim that the xor stuff is done in
hardware and not in the binary part. I'm actually surprised that a linux
friendly company like IBM actually gets involved with binary drivers
like this though.... a bit disappointing.

but yeah this sounds like a really bad purchase.

Indeed, this controller in the 346s is a regression from the 345 servers, which had an onboard LSI Logic Fusion MPT controller which could do hardware RAID 1, at least, and has a GPL driver.

Oh well.. if you really want to use hardware RAID, you can put in the ServeRAID-7k card, which is much better, and has a GPL driver.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx