Re: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 17:31:06 EST

On Monday 30 May 2005 04:07, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Cdrecord includes the needed features to do what you like, but do not
> > > asume that you will be able to force me to make nonportable and Linux
> > > specific interfaces a gauge for the design of a portable program.
> > > If you read the cdrecord man page, you know that you could
> > > happily call cdrecord dev=green_burner.....
> > >

> > No, that static mapping is not good. I have an external enclosure that
> > does firewire and USB. I want to be able to use "sony-dvd" to access
> > it no matter whether it is onnected to USB bus or Firewire and whether
> > there are other devices (disks) on USB or firewire. It is possible to
> > do with udev creating a link to /dev/sony-dvd.
>
> I am not sure what you like to do.....
>
> But what you claim is simply impossible.
>
> As you started to introduce the allegory with the colors, let me make
> an assumption based on your claim:
>
> - Buy two identical drives and varnish one in red and the other
> in green.
>
> - Connect both drives to your computer to let the OS "learn" the
> drives.
>
> - Do any setup you like
>
> - Now disconnect the drives and after that, connect the green one
> the way the red one has been connected before.
>
> - Connect the red one too.
>
> - Insert a medium into the green drive
>
> - Let your software try whether it is able to connect you
> to the green one.
>
> If this always works as expected, then you are a magician!

It will not work if drives are absolutely identical, however if there is
something even slightly different about them (serial number, model,
firmware version - anything) you can set up udev to produce "stable" name.

FWIW, my example was about a single drive that can "change" it's X,Y,Z
depending on how and when it was connected.

> So let me sum up: Never rely on things that cannot be made 100%
> unique in case you like to run security relevent software like cdrecord.

Because for the most types of devices out there they don't make any sense
and just provided for compatibility with legacy software.

Also, from a bit different perspective - do you also want users to mount
If not why writing application should use different addressing?

--
Dmitry