Re: How to find if BIOS has already enabled the device

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Sat May 28 2005 - 08:58:53 EST

On Friday 27 May 2005 23:24, John Livingston wrote:
> Also, is your BIOS fully up to date/modern?  A quick Google search found
> a few things like this:
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-18940-USB-Hub-And-Boot-Problems.ht
>ml The problem might be more generic than a bad interaction between drive
> and kernel.
My BIOS is the latest version available from the laptop vendor. The laptop has
some minor but peculiar issues - If I boot into Windows XP all works fine all
the times (With USB HDD on during boot). If I then restart the machine
(without turning off) and boot into Linux - Linux doesn't detect my keyboard.
I have power it off and reboot, only then it will detect the keyboard. So I
wouldn't say the machine is 100% defect free but Windows has a way to work
around it.

This current problem of Hang-On-Boot if USB drive is attached does not happen
with Windows - so it is some sort of additional (unnecessary?) thing which
Linux does and the BIOS doesn't like. (Like re-enabling the controller even
if BIOS has already enabled it or some such.)

Parag