Re: [2.6.12rc4] PROBLEM: "drive appears confused" and "irq 18:nobody cared!"

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 19:16:47 EST

Alexander Fieroch <Fieroch@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Problem 1:
> while booting the message "hdb: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
> confused (ireason = 0x01)" repeats several times and the system hangs
> for some seconds. After booting sometimes I get the same message and
> linux hangs.
>
> Problem 2:
> syslog message "irq 18: nobody cared!" followed by a call trace repeats
> while booting and while running linux.
>
> On the bottom of this mail you'll find an extract of /var/log/syslog
> showing this error.
>

> My system is a P4 630 with em64t, ASUS P5GD2 Premium board (ICH6
> chipset) and nvidia 6600GT PCIe graphic card.
> I'm running a self compiled kernel 2.6.12rc4 but I've had these bugs in
> self compiled kernel 2.6.11.8 and default debian kernel
> 2.6.11-9-em64t-p4-smp too.
> The default debian kernel 2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp seems to be the only one
> where problem 1 does not occur but problem 2 does.

Does the thing work correctly under any versions of Linux? If so, which?

It appears that you entered cdrom_pc_intr() with IDE_IREASON_REG = 0x01.

* ATAPI Interrupt Reason Register.
*
* cod : Information transferred is command (1) or data (0)
* io : The device requests us to read (1) or write (0)

io = 0
cod = 1

I'm not sure what this means. It generated an interrupt, expecting the
kernel to send a write command? That sounds odd.

If the answer to my first queston is "no" then perhaps the hardware is
busted. Try swapping out cables, check power supplies, try a different
drive, etc.

If none of that helps then perhaps there's something we can do in
cdrom_pc_intr() to work around this?

(Should cdrom_pc_intr() be using atapi_ireason_t?)