Re: disowning a process

From: Davy Durham
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 14:14:49 EST

Davy Durham wrote:

Cool.. I looked at the daemon function and I might be able to use it..

However, I compiled your code... seems to work.. but where is the wait() done on the middle parrent so that it isn't left defunct?

I added "waitpid(pid,NULL,0);" after the outer-most if.. which is where the grand parent cleans up the pid of the intermediate parent.

However, now trying the daemon() function.. which seems to work the same way.. it definately leaves a pid around.. so I guess you really need to do a wait() in the parent after forking.. however you don't know exactly which pid to wait for so you might be reaping some other child you've previously spawned..

So, for now I'm going to stick with the explicit double fork code.

Thanks!

Steven Rostedt wrote:

Try man daemon.

The way I use to do it was simply do a double fork. That is
(simplified)...

if ((pid = fork()) < 0) {
perror("fork");
} else if (!pid) {
/* child */
if ((pid = fork()) < 0) {
perror("child fork");
exit(-1);
} if (pid) {
/* child parent */
/* Here we detach from the child */
exit(0);
}
/* Now this code is a child running almost as a daemon
with init as the parent. */
setsid();
/* Now the child is completely detached from the original
parent */
/* ... daemon code here ... */
exit(0);
}