Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 03:10:05 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

Thanks Ingo,

* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Presumably your RT tasks are going to want to do some kind of *real* work somewhere along the line - so how is that work provided guarantees?

there are several layers to this. The primary guarantee we can offer is
to execute userspace code within N usecs. Most code that needs hard
guarantees is quite simple and uses orthogonal mechanisms.

Well yes, but *somewhere* along the line they'll need to interact
with something else in a timely (in the RT sense) manner?

[...]

So in that sense, if you do hard RT in the Linux kernel, it surely is always going to be some subset of operations, dependant on exact locking implementation, other tasks running and resource usage, right?

yes. The goal is that latencies will fundamentally depend on what facilities (and sharing) the RT task makes use of - instead of depending on what _other_ tasks do in the system.

OK.

Tasklist lock might be a good example off the top of my head - so you may be able to send a signal to another process with deterministic latency, however that latency might look something like: x + nrproc*y

yes, signals are not O(1).

Fundamentally, the Linux kernel constantly moves towards separation of unrelated functionality, for scalability reasons. So the moment there's some unexpected sharing, we try to get to rid of it not primarily due to latencies, but due to performance. (and vice versa - one reason why it's not hard to get latency patches into the kernel) E.g. the tasklist lock might be convered to RCU one day. The idea is that a 'perfectly
scalable' Linux kernel also has perfect latencies - the two goals meet.

I'd have to think about that one ;)
But yeah I agree they seem to broadly move in the same direction,
but let's not split hairs.

It appears to me (uneducated bystander, remember) that a nanokernel running a small hard-rt kernel and Linux together might be "better" for people that want real realtime.

If your application model can tolerate a total separation of OSs then that's sure a viable way. If you want to do everything under one instance of Linux, and want to separate out some well-controlled RT functionality, then PREEMPT_RT is good for you.

Note that if you can tolerate separation of OSs (i.e. no sharing or well-controlled sharing) then you can do that under PREEMPT_RT too, here and today: e.g. run all the non-RT tasks in an UML or QEMU instance.
(separation of UML needs more work but it's fundamentally ok.) Or you
can use PREEMPT_RT as the nanokernel [although this sure is overkill]
and put all the RT functionality into a virtual machine. So instead of a
hard choice forced upon you, virtualization becomes an option. Soft-RT
applications can morph towards hard-RT conditions and vice versa.

OK. I what sort of applications can't tolerate the nanokernel type
separation? I guess the hosts would be seperated by some network like
device, shared memory, etc. devices that use functionality provided
by the nanokernel?

So whether it's good enough will have to be seen - maybe nanokernels
will win in the end. As long as PREEMPT_RT does not impose any undue
design burden on the stock kernel (and i believe it does not) it's a
win-win situation: latency improvements will drive scalability,
scalability improvements will drive latencies, and the code can be
easily removed if it becomes unused.

Well yeah, from what I gather, the PREEMPT_RT work needn't be excluded
on the basis that it can't provide hard-RT - for a real world example
all the sound guys seem to love it ;) so it obviously is worth something.

And if the complexity can be nicely hidden away and configured out,
then I personally don't have any problem with it whatsoever :) But
I don't like to comment further on actual code until I see the actual
proposed patch when you're happy with it.

Nick