question about /dev/console and /dev/tty

From: Tomko
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 02:13:37 EST

Hi everyone,

Which device is /dev/console pointing to ? or is it a virtual device ? Actually why this node is made?

Why kernel default not providing a control terminal on /dev/console but on other device ?

It is not surprising that we can use CTRL-C to terminate some process on i386 linux on the Desktop machine, is that mean the shell on our desktop is not using /dev/console ? so where are the shell running on?

Hope anyone can do me a favour.

Regards,
TOM