Re: Creating patches for source

From: Alejandro Bonilla
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 21:51:15 EST

randy_dunlap wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:21:43 -0500 Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

| Hi,
| | Quick and fast question here. I'm starting to create patches (diff) | :-) so, I googled for a while and most say that one could use the diff | -up or diff -Naur. They both look to me very similar and honestly -up | works for me. Still, what command will make the cleanest patch and which | one is mostly used?

You looked at 'man diff', right?

Yes.

and linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches, which says:
Use "diff -up" or "diff -uprN" to create patches.

well, the "or" doesn't tells me the that there is a best way. That's the deal.

So you use the options that are appropriate for your patches.

If you are patching only one file (or a few files in the same
directory), -up is usually fine.

Excelent.

If you have patches in multiple directories and you want diff
to search in subdirectories for patches, you need to use -r
(recursive).
If you are adding new files, you need to use -N.

Adding new files into the whole source? Like it will make a patch with the full content and then create the file when patching the source? Thanks for that one, sounds like I will need to use it.

Is there a specific problem that you are trying to solve?

I was just patching a README :-) and the patch looked too big and/or bulky, so I noticed it was using a lot of lines from the document, but I was only changing a single letter in a word. i.e. I changed/added 20 letters in total, and the patch is like 200 words.

I think it's just me being a paranoid patch-newbie.

Thanks,

.Alejandro

---
~Randy