2.4.30 - USB serial problem

From: Ian Leonard
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 12:55:01 EST

Greetings,

We recently upgraded from 2.4.24 to 2.4.28 and the problem described below appeared. I have tested it on 2.4.30 and the fault still exists.

It is something to do with usb serial. We are actually using the ftdi_sio module but a quick diff suggests it hasn't changed much. I am not 100% sure what is going on but we are sending out various short commands (11 bytes) to an external device. Most work just fine but one using one sequence seems to cause the driver to loop and continually send out the same command. The application keeps sending other commands but eventually the write () blocks and that's that.

Examining the packet that caused the problem showed it was very similar to the others but it contained 0x0a. This obviously stuck out as being a candidate for some sort of translation problem.

I also built a 2.4.28 kernel with the ftdi_sio and usbserial code from the 2.4.24 release. It also failed. This was a surprise and I am wondering of I did it correctly.

I don't have the failing equipment with me here but will return to site next week. I would appreciate any words of wisdom on the problem.

--
Ian Leonard

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.