Re: RT patch acceptance

From: Sven-Thorsten Dietrich
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 13:03:24 EST

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 19:17 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > * Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> People cannot detect the difference between 1000usec and 50usec
> >> latencies, so they aren't going to notice any changes in
> >> responsiveness at all.
> >
> > i agree in theory, but interestingly, people who use the -RT branch do
> > report a smoother desktop experience. While it might also be a
>
> I bet if you did a double blind test (users not knowing if they
> run with RT patch or not or think they are running with patch when they
> are not) they would report the same.

I would take that bet double or nothing.

> Basically when people go through all that effort of applying
> a patch
You mean typing "patch -p1 < ..."

> then they really want to see an improvement. If it is there
> or not.

Hopefully they will also set the config options correctly :)

> You surely have seen that with other patches when users
> suddenly reported something worked better/smoother with a new
> release etc and there was absolutely no explanation for it in the changed
> code.

I suppose the audio guys have something on that.
Even if you don't have an ear for music, you can hear a
skip on a CD, a scratch on a record, or a glitch on
a digital audio file from preemption latency.

These are all events in the same time frame, and
that is in the milliseconds....

> I have no reason to believe this is any different with all
> this RT testing.

And that's why we have been testing and benchmarking, to
produce number sets that supersede faith, belief, and
conjecture. But ultimately, you can trust your senses,
and I think the audio / video test would allow your eyes
to see, and your ears to hear the difference.

> -Andi (who also would prefer to not have interrupt threads, locks like
> a maze and related horribilities in the mainline kernel)

I am definitely for breaking out an IRQ threads patch,
separate from the RT-mutex patches, even if just to
allow examination of that code without the clutter.