RE: RT patch acceptance

From: Sven Dietrich
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 16:25:55 EST

Karim wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > just to make sure, by "much more complicated" are you
> referring to the
> > PREEMPT_RT feature? Right now PREEMPT_RT consists of 8000
> new lines of
> > code (of which 2000 is debugging code) and 2000 lines of
> modified kernel
> > code. One of the primary goals i had was to keep it simple
> and robust.
>
> I'm refering to the complexity of the behavior. Turning
> interrupts to threads and spinlocks to mutexes makes vanilla
> Linux's behavior much more complicated than it already is.

Linux has been distributing and decoupling locking and
data structures since the first multi CPU kernel was booted.

All data integrity is just as consistent in RT, so HOW does
the behavior change?

SMP is mainstream now (Pentium IV, to start).

The kernel development is just taking the logical next step.

RT is eco-friendly, even, if you can bear it, in preventing
high-powered CPUs from burning megawatts spinning on
a bit in memory. Watch the temperature spikes when that
happens.

Basically, the reality is, that software loading can always
exceed the given hardware, for any system. If you want
some things to always work smoothly, you need to have some
way to bound response time and prioritize deterministically.

The more the computer becomes an entertainment device in the
mainstream (ahem, Ipod), the more this will be an opportunity
for Linux. People are of course running Linux on their Ipods
already. But - can it play the music without skipping?

With RT it CAN.

Also keep in mind the time-critical response requirements of
multimedia systems. Its not just Linux in embedded devices.
Its going to Linux in your TV some day soon (or already).

Take a look at all the big Sony TVs. All MontaVista Linux.

But Linux is behind, somewhat in a lot of this technology,
as pointed out by others. IRQ threads is not radical, untested,
new technology. Nor is a mutex, priority inheritance or not.

Linux is consistent with the Unix legacy - resource sharing,
fairness, progress. All good things, endemic to the evolution
of Linux. But the other Unixes have moved past that - to keep up.

Most of the Unixes are clustering back-room systems now, but some
are still foraging alongside the north-western American
Tyrannosaurus. They are evolving, and trying not to get chomped.

The pressure is going to increase, the question is do
we lead, or do we follow and pay, whereever they want to
take us today?

Basically this technology could go into the kernel, to quote Ingo,
as "no-drag". You turn it off and it goes away, no overhead.
No pain, no worries, no stress, no flaming.

And Linux leads the way, and the multimedia / audio folks are happy,
able to push open source further, opening the door for more folks to
contribute, best they know how.

There is absolutely nothing, btw. in any of the the
sub-kernels, patented or not, that can't be done in Linux.

Sven