Problem with optical mouse PS/2 on Linux 2.6.8.1-kanotix-10

From: Marcelo Luiz de Laia
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 15:02:21 EST

Hi guys,

Previous to send, I send this question to my native language debian mailing (Brazilian Portuguese) and, after breaf answers, I send it to the debian-users mailing lists, as well the first, I receive a few answers. Then, I post this questions on a forum and I dont get any replay. In this mean time, I do a lot of search on google linux http://www.google.com/linux. On google, I found this thread http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0406.2/1498.html and I suspect that are the some problem or maybe very closed problem. I am not subscribed on kernel.org mailling. This mail is my "parting breath" on this problem.

I receive answers like this: change your mouse..." But, am very curious and I suspect that I woudl get knowledg after solve this question. But, I am send my apologizes if this problem is very simple.

The problem:

When the system is on boot up, when peripherals are be detected, the light of my mouse is turned off. Then, my mouse didin't is recognized by Xserver.

I suppose that I have a problem with my kernel, because the red lights (laser) is turned off as soon as the next message is showed on the screen in the start up system:

mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

*Then, my problem don't is with the X configuration, it appear before the X start.*

I read these thread http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0406.2/1498.html but I dont know how I do that suggestions: compile a new kernel? How version? A patch?

Any one could be tell me what I do in this case? Or suggest me another maillist or maintainer?

When I use another optical mouse, it is detected as:

input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1

and it works fine!

I use Debian-like Linux 2.6.8.1-kanotix-10 #1 Sun Oct 31 19:57:19 BRT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

PS.: ImExPS/2 mouse is different from ImPS/2 mouse!? I suppose that here are the problem.

Thanks

Marcelo