Re: [patch 2/2] x86_64: Collect host bridge resources

From: Rajesh Shah
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 12:41:16 EST

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:58:55PM +0400, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:45:36AM -0700, Rajesh Shah wrote:
> > The concern here isn't just increasing the size of pci_bus. The
> > resource pointers in pci_bus point to resource structures in the
> > corresponding pci_dev structure for p2p bridges. If we want to
> > maintain this scheme, we'd have to increase the number of resources
> > in the pci_dev structure too, which increases it for every single
> > pci device in the system.
>
> No. The pci_bus resource pointers are just pointers to _some_ resources
> and generally aren't tied to particular pci device. For example, the
> root pci buses often don't even have corresponding bus->self structure,
> and bus resources are pointers to global io[mem,port]_resource.

For the transparent p2p bridge problem you mentioned, wouldn't you
be dealing with p2p bridges, and therefore expect the pci_bus
resource pointers to point to the corresponding pci_dev resources?
Or are you proposing to decouple pci_bus resource pointers from
pci_dev completely? From quick code inspection, that seems to be
not too much trouble to increase from 4 then.

Rajesh