Re: [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption, 2.6.12-rc4-mm2

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 10:43:14 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 01:21 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

IIRC, the reason (when you wrote the code) was that you didn't
want to enable preempt either because of binary compatibility, or
because of bugs? Well I think the bug issue is no more since your
debug patches went in, and the compatibility reason may be a fine
one for a distro kernel, but not a kernel.org one.

I can't imagine binary compatibility having been a reason. At least for
the RH distros it really isn't kernel wise. At All.
PREEMPT was (and is?) a stability risk and so you'll see RHEL4 not
having it enabled. But it has nothing to do with in-kernel binary
compatibility; that just doesn't exist, kernel.org or distro alike.

Yeah that was the reason.