Re: [V9fs-developer] Re: [RFC][patch 3/7] v9fs: VFS inode operations(2.0-rc6)

From: Ronald G. Minnich
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 09:11:36 EST

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> > +static int
> > +v9fs_vfs_create(struct inode *inode, struct dentry *dentry, int perm,
> > + struct nameidata *nd)
> > +{
> > + int retval = -EPERM;
> > + int open_mode = O_RDWR;
> > +
> > + retval = v9fs_create(inode, dentry, perm, open_mode);
> > +
> > + return retval;

> Both local variables are redundant. Please just do:
>
> return v9fs_create(inode, dentry, perm, O_RDWR);

well, here is my first point of disagreement with the many good
suggestions I have seen.

I prefer the style as it is, and dislike the return vfs_create(...)
change.

First, we're all agreed here that this is a style, not efficiency thing,
right? Makes no difference, compiler will do what is right.

The reason I prefer the 'retval = blah blah; return retval;' usage is that
I frequently have run v9fs in UML, and debugging is just easier. Set the
breakpoint in v9fs_vfs_create, step through, maybe skip over that
v9fs_create function, look at retval. Also, should we get to the point
later that we have a debug print of some sort in that function, adding it
is trivial.

I realize there is a preferred style here, but is there room for some
flexibility?

thanks

ron