Re: enable-reads-on-plextor-712-sa-on-26115.patch added to -mm tree

From: Andy Stewart
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 19:50:55 EST

HI Andrew,

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Andy Stewart <andystewart@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>Good show.
>>Aw, come on, Jeff. I gave it a shot,
>
> You did, and that's very much appreciated, thanks.

Thank you for the encouraging words. :-)

>>If you believe this patch is
>>inappropriate, then please ask Andrew Morton to remove it
>
> I already have removed it, but only because it appears that the patch might
> cause regressions in other areas.

I agree that my patch should be removed if it is breaking other things.
Thanks for taking it out.

> Basically it goes like this:
>
> - Someone sends a patch
>
> - Patch gets ignored.
>
> - I merge it, without even looking at the thing.
>
> I do this as a reminder to myself and to other developers that there is
> some kernel bug or shortcoming. Basically, it's a bug-tracking system.
> Periodically I'll spam the maintainer with the patch and eventually he'll
> tell me to drop the thing because the problem is fixed, or he'll tell the
> originator why the patch will never be merged.
>
> Either way, the patch (and the problem which caused you to write the patch)
> gets some sort of definite dispositive handling, rather than falling
> through a crack.

Thank you for the explaination, and for the feedback to let me know that
the patch didn't fall through the cracks.

Andy

- --
Andy Stewart, Founder
Worcester Linux Users' Group