Re: [OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Patrick McFarland
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 23:54:08 EST

On Saturday 21 May 2005 09:22 pm, Andrew Haninger wrote:
> > ... flames the LKML about how Linux breaks cdrecord
> > (instead of just admitting cdrecord is broken)
>
> I've always used cdr-tools on Linux and Windows since it is the
> only/best tool for mastering CDs. It takes the installation of Joerg's
> library, but after that, it's worked wonderfully. This is even the
> tool that is suggested by the HOWTOs that newbies are told to read. It
> has always appeared to me that it was the only/best tool.

I was refering to the 2.6 permissions bug in cdrecord. It wouldn't work using
a non-root user, even if they had the correct permissions. 2.6 changed (for
the better, mind you), and Joerg refused to fix cdrecord. (I don't know if
its even fixed now). Theres been other cases of cdrecord breaking on Linux
only, but I can't think of them atm.

> If it's broken, then surely there's an unbroken drop-in replacement
> program that should be used. And surely it works much better than
> cdr-tools and is easier to use. However, after a few seconds of Google
> searches, I was unable to find it.

I really wish someone would build a replacement for cdrecord, but Joerg just
hasn't pissed off that potential author enough.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || pmcfarland@xxxxxxxxxxxx