[patch 0/4] CPU hot-plug support for x86_64

From: Ashok Raj
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 17:43:39 EST

Hi Andi

Attached are patches that would apply over 2.6.12-rc4-mm2 to provide
cpu hotplug support. It seems to hold up to stress (make -j's) on a 4way
HT system)

FYI: Iam sending this via quilt mail, hopefully it makes its way ok,
otherwise please pardon, and i will resend my usuall way again if this
doesn't work.

- I tested with booting maxcpus=1, then you can kick each cpu online.
* I also manually migrate interrupts to the new CPU, and ensure they are off
when that same cpu is being offlined.
* Seems to have trouble with CONFIG_SCHED_SMT, i need to look into this
later.
- Offline works as well

Andi: You had mentioned that you would not prefer to replace the broadcast IPI
with the mask version for performance. Currently this seems to be the
most optimal way without putting a sledge hammer on the cpu_up process.

If there are any known performance issues that we are worried about
we should look for alternative mechanism.

TBD:
0. Verify with CONFIG_NUMA (not done yet)
1. ACPI integration for physical cpu hotplug support.
2. replace fixup_irqs() with a correct implementation. This works fine for now
but has potential to miss interrupts. (in works).

Cheers,
Ashok Raj