Re: Illegal use of reserved word in system.h

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 07:28:55 EST

> First off, I think we need a system-call that will return some of
> the information that now comes from headers. PAGE_SIZE comes to
> mind. You need this for mmap() but there doesn't seem to be any
> way to get it. getpagesize() 'C' library just returns something
> it's swiped from kernel headers when the library was compiled.
> There are other things like the following that sometimes need

for getpagesize() I can see the point

> to be known also.
>
> HZ

HZ may not exist. At all; people are trying to remove it. And userspace
has no business knowing about it either.
> TASK_SIZE
what for?

> SMP
userspace should not care! Any app that looks at this is buggy; remember
the fully preemptable nature of userspace

> Number of errno values

why?

> Highest ioctl value used

uhh that;s driver dependent.. and what for ?