Re: [RFC/PATCH 2/5] mm/fs: execute in place (V2)

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 11:06:10 EST

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 05:50:59PM +0200, Carsten Otte wrote:
> I agree that sync/async is not too much of a difference when you do a memcpy
> behind, so you can just have wrappers.

They already are wrappers in filemap.c In fact one of my planned projects
is to kill all that silly duplication and have aio_readv/aio_writev entry
points for filesystems and read/write for drivers and nothing else. That
would cleanup the mess extremly.

> I am still not convinced that it
> will stay
> reasonably small with all that duplicated stuff, but since it's easy to
> do I just
> gonna give it a try to see how it'll look alike. Bet the patch size will
> double.

I think that's okay. XIP is a total minority feature, and while we should
avoid duolication where possible not making filemap.c even more messy is
by far preferable.