Re: Sync option destroys flash!

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 07:03:23 EST

On Wed, 18 May 2005 linux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=6, sector=6
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 6
unable to read partition table
[SNIPPED...]

You can "fix" this by writing all sectors. Although the data is lost,
the flash-RAM isn't. This can (read will) happen if you pull the
flash-RAM out of its socket with the power ON.

Er... no. Trying to write 8K to /dev/hda, I get the above error
on sector 15.

If you can boot DOS or FREE dos on your system, see if the disk
emulation implimented the format-unit command. You can do it with
debug...

- mov dx, 81 ; 81 is D: , 80 is C:
- mov cx, 0 ; Start at cylinder 0
- mov ah, 7 ; Format unit command
- int 13 ; BIOS hard-disk service
- int 3 ; Catch after call

If the call returned with CY not set and the command took some time
it is likely that new sectors were written and all is well.

My *other* problems could be fixed by rewriting the affected sector, but
this one seems to be a doozy. I never saw "SectorIdNotFound" before.

As long as he has to read it personally, that's fine. I'll get some
small pleasure watching his lips move.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.