Re: software mixing in alsa

From: ross
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 01:32:26 EST

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 04:27:44PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> I was hoping somebody would explain how to get 'dmix' plugin working in the
> kernel - then I could get rid of esd ;) (Note that running something in
> userspace that accepts connections, runs dmix on them, and then creates one
> thing spewing to /dev/pcm isn't a solution - I've already *got* esd, warts and all)

In all honesty - don't bother. esd does the job better, faster, more
flexibly, and without the hassle.

I have spent many hours attempting to get a usable dmix setup working
and I just don't think its possible (at least not with my hardware).

I use esd for all "consumer" level audio apps, and jackd for all
professional audio apps. This is by far the simplest way to manage
audio - I wouldn't waste your time with dmix. After all, what could
you do with dmix that you can't do with esd??

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@xxxxxxxxxxxx

man in the bonds of Hell."