finding out whether a device supports ordered writes ahead of time

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 06:29:57 EST

Currently ext3 and reiserfs submit bios with BIO_RW_BARRIER and when the
device doesn't support it it returns EOPNOTUPP. This scheme doesn't
work at all for XFS because our I/O submission path keeps around far too
much state (XFS supports multi-page metadata buffers). From looking at
the code it seems that we can assume such a submission will just work
if q->ordered is not QUEUE_ORDERED_NONE. Is that a valid assumption?
and if yes should we look directly at the queue or provide an assecor?