disabling "double-calling" of level-driven interrupts

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 15:24:21 EST

hi, please respond cc direct, thank you.

a kind response from alan alerted me to investigate some issues
that we are having with the skyminder (arm 720 cirrus logic
"maverick" EDB7134 whatever).

something he said made me go "twitch" - the infrastructure involving
interrupts in the 2.6 kernel - that they can be called TWICE.

well, that's exactly what i am seeing happen - even when the
relevant INTSR1 bit is clear.

at the top of the interrupt service routine, i double-check the
bit of INTSR1 that caused the interrupt.

i find it to be clear.

doing an immediate return IRQ_HANDLED results in working code,
whereas before, the behaviour of our LCD was utterly unreliable.

[we have a communications protocol to a PIC, over the 8-bit port,
indicating where and what the PIC is to blop onto the LCD screen.
the protocol is variable-length-encoded: if it gets screwed,
for example by a double-interrupt adding in an extra character...]

so.

i have some questions.

1) _why_ am i getting double-interrupts, even under circumstances
where i double-check the relevant INTSR1 bit and ONLY drop out
of the interrupt service routine once that bit is cleared?

2) is there something i am supposed to do, some function i
am supposed to call, which stops the interrupt handler from
being double-called?

3) could i have got something wrong, is there some interrupt
function i am supposed to write, which is _supposed_ to check
for this condition?

4) could there be something missing from the CLPS711x irq.c which
is supposed to be there?

5) other

many thanks for any assistance.

l.