Re: VST and Sched Load Balance

From: Srivatsa Vaddagiri
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 11:17:35 EST

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 12:52:48AM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Well, there are a lot of ifs and buts. Some domains won't implement
> fork balancing, others won't do newidle balancing, wake balancing,
> wake to idle, etc etc.

Good point. I had somehow assumed that these are true for all domains.
My bad ..

> I think my idea of allowing max_interval to be extended to a
> sufficiently large value if one CPU goes idle, and shutting off all
> CPU's rebalancing completely if no tasks are running for some time
> should cater to both hypervisor images and power saving concerns.

Maybe we should check with virtual machine folks on this. Will
check with UML and S390 folks tomorrow.

> >A possible patch for B follows below:
> >

> Yeah something like that should do it.

Ok ..thanks. Will include this patch in the final
load-balance-fix-for-no-hz-idle-cpus's patch!

--

Thanks and Regards,
Srivatsa Vaddagiri,