Re: Help with the high res timers

From: Nishanth Aravamudan
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 12:57:23 EST

On 04.05.2005 [11:44:56 -0600], Chris Friesen wrote:
> George Anzinger wrote:
>
> >The, I think, elegant solution to the timer storm problem is to
> >not restart the timer until the user picks up the prior expiration.
> >This dynamically adjusts the timer response to the amount of machine
> >available at the time.
>
> The disadvantage is that you then lose accuracy since each timer
> interval is increased by some random amount based on system scheduling.
> What about some kind of ulimit-type thing to specify the minimum
> recurring interval that can be specified? If root so specifies, you
> could have 1usec interval timers and the system would hang. This is
> conceptually no different than busy-looping in a SCHED_FIFO task.

If I understand your point correctly, I think this is achieved by
TIMERINTERVAL_BITS in my patch (not to claim my patch is function, but
conceptually). No matter what you actually request, the best you can do
is 2^TIMERINTERVAL_BITS nanoseconds, and usually worse because the
tick-rate and timerinterval length do not necessarily line up.

Thanks,
Nish