Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc3-V0.7.46-01

From: Lee Revell
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 10:06:44 EST

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 10:22 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > it looks like we are finally getting close to the lower limit
> > that can be achieved with PREEMPT_DESKTOP ... It's only 127 usecs, and
> > IIRC you mentioned previously that this code path can't be made
> > preemptible in !PREEMPT_RT.
>
> yeah, signal delivery will have to stay atomic in !PREEMPT_RT kernels.

OK. I found a few more.

When umounting, shrink_dcache_sb() will produce a 3-4 ms. bump. However
it's not clear this can be made preemptible. AFAICT the whole thing
needs to be under the dcache_lock. This one is pretty obvious so I'm
not attaching a trace.

There's also still one path in the VM related to page freeing that can
produce ~500 usec latencies but I don't have a trace handy now.

> > Since Mingming's patch will have to live in -mm for a while, can it be
> > added to the RT patchset as well?
>
> i think so - i'll add it to the next patch.

OK, great.

Lee