Re: [2.6 patch] Kconfig: rename "---help---" to "help" in Kconfig files (first part)

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 06:52:46 EST

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 03:47:46PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Roman,

> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > > So why exactly has to be removed? Is it ugly? Does it make Kconfig worse?
> >
> > The ugly thing is that there are currently two different ways to express
> > the same thing. It only causes confusion for people who think those
> > different syntaxes had a different meaning.
>
> Languages often have more than one way to express something, this is not
> different.
> Early on there was some confusion about this from people writing new
> Kconfig entries (not just reading existing ones), but this was became a
> non-issue since it's documented now.

Different ways for expressing the same thing is good for writers but bad
for readers.

E.g. where to place opening braces in C is a religious issue. For the
Linux kernel, CodingStyle sets the rules. And although I'd prefer to set
them different, I have to admit that the consistency indide the kernel
makes reading easier.

> bye, Roman

cu
Adrian