Journalling file system and dm-raid

From: steve
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 17:37:34 EST

Hi,

I install linux system from remote to a box that has Silicon Image chipset and using dmraid + device mapper. Because it is remote box, then I can not get any OOP message (sorry), the problem is:

If I use JFS + SMP kernel (this is a dual P4 box); it runs unstable (slow, slugish) and when I do a rm -rf linux_source_dir then the terminal freeze, system unresponding. I have to phone someone to power it off and on.

If use JFS without SMP. it runs stable.

If use reiserfs it oops on boot (no matter SMP or not), the only thing I got is some sort of EIP bad value message (told by a non IT staff at the site) so I guess it OOPes.

Now I have to revert it to ancient but stable ext2!
I really like JFS as I use it stably in my server box but do not its behavior in SMP kernel.

please let me know if it is known problem with JFS and smp, and it has been fixed in recent kernel. Thank you.

Steve Kieu
PerfectPC Ltd. Technical Division.
Web: http://www.perfectpc.co.nz/
Ph: 04 461 7489