Re: zImage on 2.6?

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 17:27:14 EST

Rick Warner wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 May 2005 12:40 pm, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > Please keep me CCd

> As others have mentioned, bzImage seems to be a requirement now for x86.
> However, zImage will not do any better for you. I recall doing testing of
> zImage vs bzImage a long time back, and the bzImage kernels were slightly
> smaller than the zImage ones anyway. I think you're going to be out of luck
> trying to get your kernel that small. A single floppy boot/root disk isn't
> really possible with 2.6 kernels anymore. Have you looked into pxe booting
> instead? I work at a cluster company and we do tons of pxe/network booting
> stuff.

Not all machines are PXE capable. The boot will be generally CDrom or USB
stick. I wanted to continue to support our machines that are not capable of
booting from either of these (which all of these are not PXE capable)

I might beable to pull this off, I don't know yet. If it wasn't for all the
modules I have placed in the initrd, I could. (I could remove one of the
modules and it would fit just fine but I might actually need that module)