Re: Mercurial 0.4b vs git patchbomb benchmark

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 14:58:37 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, 02 May 2005 11:49:32 EDT, Bill Davidsen said:

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:39:59PM -0700, Matt Mackall wrote:

-#!/usr/bin/python
+#!/usr/bin/env python
#
# mercurial - a minimal scalable distributed SCM
# v0.4b "oedipa maas"

Could you explain why this is necessary or desirable? I looked at what env does, and I am missing the point of duplicating bash normal behaviour regarding definition of per-process environment entries.

Most likely, his python lives elsewhere than /usr/bin, and the 'env' call
results in causing a walk across $PATH to find it....

Assuming that he has env in a standard place... I hope this isn't going to start some rash of efforts to make packages run on non-standard toolchains, which add requirements for one tool to get around misplacement of another.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)